Replace the Spark Plugs on an E46 (1999-2005) BMW 3 Series
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 BMW 3 Series Models
BMW 3 Series Includes: 316, 318, 320, 323, 325, 328, 330 and M3 .
1. Here is what we are starting with.
2. First you need to remove the left side of the engine cover to expose the plugs. I took off both covers but that is not really necessary. You will need the 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding the cover.
3. Here is a closeup of the coils that will have to be removed to get to the spark plugs.
4. Now let’s start to remove the coil. First you need to pop the metal lock that holds the plug connected to the coil.
5. Once it is free you can disconnect the plug from the coil. Just hold the metal clip all the way up and pull the plug out from the left.
6. Now you need to remove the two bolts that hold the coil in place. Notice that on the first and last coils there is a wire attached under one of the bolts. Be sure to put this back when reattaching the coil.
7. After the bolts are removed the coil will be free.
8. Simply lift the coil out of the cylinder and set it aside while you change the spark plug.
9. Now it’s time to take out the ratchet and unscrew the spark plug.
10. Once you have unscrewed the plug all the way pull it out.
11. After that, it’s simply a matter of replacing the old with the new!
12. Now, just reconnect the coil and move on the the next plug. That’s all there is too it. The only tricky part is the last plug because it is hidden back up under the micron filter housing. To get to this one I used my two small ratchet extentions and worked it free.
13. I had to go with the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs because none of the stores around here carried NGK. After installing them I must say that there is a noticeable improvement in how smooth my engine runs. At idle I can barely tell the car is running!